Nate's Kidney Blog

Welcome to Nate's Kidney Blog. This is intended to be a way for friends and family to stay updated on my condition. Please read and comment when felt led.

Friday, December 15, 2006

-- I'M FREE! --

That's right. As of five-o-clock this evening I have officially been staple, drain, and dialysis catheter free! If you guys can't tell I am extremely excited about this. Not only are my kidney transplant related booboo's healing, but the "thorn in my side", or chest rather, has finally come out. If you guys are reading this and are totally confused, let me shed some light on it for you.

When I initially went into the hospital in late February, they installed a hemodialysis catheter in my right chest. This has been used as my access point when I have dialysis. As you can imagine, after having this thing sticking out of my chest for nearly nine months, it was becoming an annoyance. But I can surely say "Thank God" that this thing is out of me. My doctor seems to believe that the new kidney is working incredibly, so much so that he doesn't see a need to have the catheter anymore.

So what I thought was going to be a minor surgery turned out to be really nothing at all. I was admitted into the hospital late this afternoon and taken up to room. I waited there for almost hour while a nurse cleaned and prepped the catheter site. When the doctor came in, he gave me a few shots of Novocain to numb the area and then proceeded to tug at the catheter. After about a minute, the catheter simply slid out. They put some gauze on, taped me up, and I was out of there. I have to admit that it does feel strange, as if I am missing something. The truth is I am missing something, but I am so excited it is gone.

I felt wonderful again today. It seems as each day goes by I feel better and better. It is getting hard not being able to go out places and do things when I feel this good. But it is something I have to do in order to stay healthy, especially throughout this season.

Thank you again for your prayers and your comments. I really love reading them.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate....this is wonderful news and just another reminder of God's Love for you.

He is allmighty...and I imagine your one day closer to throwing a ball around...LOL

;) What a blessing you are in our lives...

bruce

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really wonderful news Nate!! and you're right - Thank God!!! You sure seemed to have a great attitude through out this ordeal!! I'm sure you had your tough times too!! Keep that wonderful attitude you have!!

Cousin, Mary S in MN

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are sooooo thankful!!! With each post we rejoice with you and can't wait to see you. We've been sick, so we didn't want to come by due to colds. hopefully we can come and see you soon. Seriously, our cup overflows with joy and praise on your behalf.

praise to our Father for His provision!!
Aly and Ry...and fam too!

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate, you describe it so well that I could feel the catheter being pulled out as I read along... PTL, what a relief! I remember you showing it to us before we left for Uruguay and I knew it was an uncomfortable necessity at the time. So, I'm excited with you and just wanted to let you know.
One of your cheer squad, Kathy

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate & Tim,

I wasn't really looking for a Christmas gift, but was thinking what can we do to remember the wonderful work Jesus did for us this Coming Christmas. Thinking of course the miracle of life, and the gift Nate received from his father.

I had always thought it a real blessing when Tim said the surgery was targeted for early December.

I somehow knew we would be rejoicing this coming Christmas Day 2006.

I saw a Christmas ornament just before leaving for DC this year. It said... " Jesus is the Gift"...I thought how appropriate, when I get back from DC, I will have to pick this up and give it to the Robertson's for the holidays.

Well, when I got back, I noticed it was gone! As a matter fact, they were all gone. I thought, what do I do now? Lord, I have been thinking about this all week.

To my surprise, going through Christmas gifts at home this week, I noticed another set of ornaments. I had bought these before DC, and forgotten, if I had, or if I hadn't.

I thought, I wish I could trade them in for the original ornament I saw.

It took me a few days, then like a typical Hungarian. I looked at the two ornamants and thought, How perfect.

One ornament says "Celebrate" in bright Red....the other ornament says "Jesus" in Blue. I never thought about putting them together.

"Celebrate Jesus"....How appropriate.

Celebrating the birth of Christ, and His wonderful love He has shown us and demonstrated in our lives this last Christmas through Nate and Tim.


:) bruce

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate
Being a 9 year kidney transplant patient I want to tell you congratulations on your new kidney. And what a true blessing that your father was able to match and give you one of his. I truly admire anyone who is willing to give up one of their kidneys to keep people like us alive and dialysis free. What a wonderful Christmas gift. God has truly blessed you and your family.
Diana -- Kansas

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nate,

I saw you and your dad's story on the news this evening and had to send you both my congratulations. I am a living kidney donor; in March of 2005 I donated a kidney to my wife of 32 years (this was her second transplant) out of St. Joseph's in Orange. Dr. Ruzics and his team are the best.

I am praying that you and your dad have a complete and total recovery from your procedure. Continue to tell your story of hope for those who find themselves in a similar situation as your's. Your story, like ours, is one of God’s miracles

We too reside in Saddleback Valley, so there is something else that we have in common.

James

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww I'm glad everything turned out good and well its just gods great miracle...he wants us to have faith and with that said that is why he puts these obstacles through our lifes long journey....cristy....bell,california 90201... and you should do a myspace page......and share the wholsomeness with everyone else...here's my address www.myspace.com/lovedeftones

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate-I just saw your story on the local news here in Fort Smith, Arkansas! Praise the Lord for your recovery! You and your family have been truly blessed by God and have a wonderful testimony for others! May this Christmas Season bring to you Peace, Joy and the Love of family, friends, and our Lord, Jesus Christ! Carol

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home