Nate's Kidney Blog

Welcome to Nate's Kidney Blog. This is intended to be a way for friends and family to stay updated on my condition. Please read and comment when felt led.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Purifier
Some time long ago, a few ladies met to study the scriptures. While reading the third chapter of Malachi, they came upon a remarkable expression in the third verse: "And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver" (Malachi 3:3).
One lady decided to visit a silversmith and report to the others what he said about the subject. She went accordingly and without telling him the reason for her visit, she begged the silversmith to tell her about the process of refining silver. After he had fully described it to her she asked,
"Sir, do you sit while the work of refining is going on?"
"Oh, yes ma'am," replied the silversmit, "I must sit and watch the furnace constantly, for if the time necessary for refining is exceeded in the slightest degree, the silver will be injured."
The lady at once saw the beauty and comfort in the expression, "He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver".
God sees it necessary to put his children into the furnace, but his eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying and His wisdom and love are both engaged in the best manner for us. Our trials do not come at random and He will not let us be tested beyond what we can endure.
Before she left, the lady asked one final question.
"How do you know when the process is complete?"
"That's quite simple", replied the silversmith.
"When I can see my own image in the silver the refining process is finished."

So what is it that makes men and women grow? I would be so bold to say that a lot of it has to do with the fact that God desires growth from us. He wants us to learn how to relate to others, He wants us to learn how to live life for Him, but most importantly He desires us to grow, rather fall into love with Him.

I love this story of the Purifier. I heard it first while I was studying in England and right away I clinged to its truth. When I am faced with dificult circumstances, I often cry out, "How long God". In response I am guided to Joshua. God tells him, "I will never leave you nor forsake you". The thing that I like best is in the next verse, "Be strong and courageous". In the story the silversmith says that it is necessary that he sit and watch the refining process so that the silver won't be damaged. Just like him, God doesn't leave us, especially when we are hurting. And this process of growing and being refined is so that He can see His own image in us.



Later this week, Thursday to be exact, my parents and I are going to meet with the transplant surgeon. Hopefully we will get our results back and maybe there will be a match there. So please pray that the Lord will guide the conversation, that we will get all of our questions answered, and that the transplant process will come quickly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heartening story. I utilized the story to encourage a friend that has being struggling with his adolescent teenager. I foung the siversmith analogy equally applicable to parenting an adolescent througth trials and tribulations of the teenage years to what I belive GOD must experience when viewing our lives. Thanks for your encouraging words and living example of turning things over to the Lord.

Carl

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home